This year, the family of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. has requested that Americans honor Dr. King’s legacy by supporting equitable voting legislation, which is currently in a vulnerable and precarious state.
- In 2020, it became illegal to hand out food or water to people standing in line to vote in Georgia.
- In 2021, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a law that will deleteriously impact BIPOC voters’ ability to challenge state laws in Arizona.
- In 2021, major changes were made to voting laws to make voting more difficult in Texas.
- In 2021, several similar bills to protect national voting rights were blocked.
The Rutland Area and Windham County NAACP Branches are encouraging education over celebration this year.
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s family calls for ‘no celebration’ of MLK Day without action on voting rights legislation
- The Freedom to Vote Act
Click here to download this information as a Powerpoint that you can use in your classroom.