You are invited to enter our first Art Contest!
Who can enter: Anyone between the ages of 12 & 22
Your submission can be:
- 300-500 word essay or short story
- Up to two pages of poem(s)
- A drawing, painting, collage, or other material form of art
- 2-3 minute video of a performance (singing, dancing, or a skit) or a documentary (for instance, interview with friends and family). Note: All music, footage and scripts should be copyright-free or you should obtain copyright permission for use.
Theme – We recommend that you choose one of these prompts:
- Imagine you are teaching younger people about equality. What does that lesson look like? What do you want them to know? Your submission can show what the classroom would look like and how the lesson would go. Or you can submit what you would give to the children as part of this lesson, for instance, a video of people talking about equality.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.’s historic speech during the “March on Washington” ended with these words:
“When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all…children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, ‘Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty, we’re free at last!’”
What do you think that future would look like? What would it take for us to get there?
Final due date: June 1, 2019, but early submissions are encouraged!
How to submit:
- Click here to upload a file.
- Mail to PO Box 311, Wallingford VT 05773
- Drop the submission (hard copy or thumb drive) off at one of our Soul Food Sundays between now and June 1st. We would love it if you would also say a few words about your piece to the attendees.
- If one of these methods won’t work, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange an alternative with you.
Prize: Tickets to Great Escape & to our Freedom Fund Dinner on July 19th, 2019, where the winners will present and be honored. One prize will be awarded to each age group: 12-15, 16-18 and 19-22.